There have been a few hiccups in Far Rye household. Thankfully they have all settled well. From a controlled environment of GP land, I have now moved to the war zone of O&G in the hospital. I am going back to the shift work pattern (again). It dose take sometime to get used to. The clinical director has landed the bomb of bad news: he cannot authorise my annual leave and I may not be able to take my 2 week leave to go to Malaysia! The reason is that the rota has been arranged in such a complicated way that any change would just cause an avalanche effect on other colleagues and service commitment. You can imagine the face that I pulled during that meeting despite my best attempt not to say anything rude or offensive. Meanwhile, emergency meetings were made with various people, including HR, director secretory and other consultants. I may consider contacting the BMA to review the legality of the work pattern. So much to do for just a holiday! The amount of time, effort and paper work, let alone the distress and inconvenience this has caused made me wonder why it is so wrong for a doctor to take a leave to attend a domestic matter. The ethos of work till you die is still hold in the hospital environment. The back-stabbing-dog-eat-dog competitiveness is still rifle in the hospital. The ultimate aim is not necessary for the patien's best interest but for personal gain of fame or monetory reward.
Meanwhile, I am counting my days till I finished the O&G job. Looks like I have already left a not so good impression in the team. I might just as well clinch the teeth and keep my head down, getting on with my job.
Life here is not as rosy as one thought.
No comments:
Post a Comment