Getting bored with digital photography, I have been going back to basics. Jasmine has bought me a Holga camera quite a few years ago. Eventually I have found it in my garage and and now I am trying to use it.
The camera is classified as a toy camera mainly due to its simplistic plastic build. The light can leak into the film producing the characteristic Holga Lomographic effect. Check on YouTube, picasaweb and Flckr and type the keyword Holga and you will see many Holga cemera taken pictures. Th pictures are basically anything but the mainstream 'proper' photography. The pictures are out of focus, soft vignetting and thay also allow light leaks. In strict photography fanatic sense, these pictures would be deemed as rubbish pictures. However, aesthetically, I find myself being drawn to the hallucigenic, psychedelic effects. They somehow makes the subjects of the pictures feel 'real'.
Hence, this is what I am going to try with my own Holga effect to see what kind of 'rubbish' photos I can produce.
I have so far spoilt two rolls of Ilford 400 120 films (ouch). I now decided to use my own 35 mm film and see. Luckily I also found I have a few rolls of Fuji Velvia slide film, I can also cross process the film to get the 'weird' effect. It is quite exciting really save Jasmine was moaning that she cannot see the results immediately like the digital camera. I try to convince her that the world that we live is not always the clear, hi def, colour saturated, in focus kond of world but the other world as well. After hearing this she gave me the look as if I am on drugs!!
The main frustration is not about how to load the 120 film and shoot pictures with it. It is the unloading of the film that is a bit tricky.
I guess practice makes perfect. Will post the results once done. Oh, check on this website, I am sure it will give you the itch to get a holga!!
http://goholga.com/
The camera is classified as a toy camera mainly due to its simplistic plastic build. The light can leak into the film producing the characteristic Holga Lomographic effect. Check on YouTube, picasaweb and Flckr and type the keyword Holga and you will see many Holga cemera taken pictures. Th pictures are basically anything but the mainstream 'proper' photography. The pictures are out of focus, soft vignetting and thay also allow light leaks. In strict photography fanatic sense, these pictures would be deemed as rubbish pictures. However, aesthetically, I find myself being drawn to the hallucigenic, psychedelic effects. They somehow makes the subjects of the pictures feel 'real'.
Hence, this is what I am going to try with my own Holga effect to see what kind of 'rubbish' photos I can produce.
I have so far spoilt two rolls of Ilford 400 120 films (ouch). I now decided to use my own 35 mm film and see. Luckily I also found I have a few rolls of Fuji Velvia slide film, I can also cross process the film to get the 'weird' effect. It is quite exciting really save Jasmine was moaning that she cannot see the results immediately like the digital camera. I try to convince her that the world that we live is not always the clear, hi def, colour saturated, in focus kond of world but the other world as well. After hearing this she gave me the look as if I am on drugs!!
The main frustration is not about how to load the 120 film and shoot pictures with it. It is the unloading of the film that is a bit tricky.
I guess practice makes perfect. Will post the results once done. Oh, check on this website, I am sure it will give you the itch to get a holga!!
http://goholga.com/
No comments:
Post a Comment